Bishop Lewis has issued another Bible Challenge for 2018. This year she is asking that all members of the Virginia Conference read the Bible Chronologically. See her letter below, and be sure to sign up using the form at the bottom of the page to let us know you are participating!
Last year I kicked off the Bible Challenge to participate in daily readings from Genesis to Revelation. I want to express my appreciation those of you who stuck to the daily readings. Several of you in the conference shared your testimonies from this experience:
• “I’ve been in the church for 30 years and have never read the Bible cover to cover.”
• “My husband and I are diligently reading together every morning.”
• “I’m glad you’ve challenged us to read this year.”
• “What are we going to do next year?”
As we come to the end of our 2017 Bible Challenge, I pray you have found this journey through the Bible uplifting and enriching. Bible study is very essential to building our faith. Through God’s Word, we gain an understanding that God is the one who gives the gift of knowledge for us to live productive lives as believers. I would like to invite you again this year to read the Bible chronologically (in the order of events). The readings will be posted on the conference website and in the monthly Advocate. If you were not successful in completing the challenge let me encourage you to try again this year.
Tips on reading the Bible daily:
1. Start reading the Bible today.
2. Set aside a specific time and place each day. Set your schedule and then stick to it. Mornings are great; but feel free to use any time that works consistently with your schedule.
3. Get a good study Bible to help to illuminate the meaning of the original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek text.
4. Choose a translation to use during your reading.
5. Say a short prayer to God before you begin, asking the Holy Spirit to give you wisdom and understanding.
6. Dive in and enjoy the richness of God’s Word!
7. Apply God’s Word to your life.
Bible study should be practical and applicable. I assure you that these seven steps will help you begin a journey in becoming a “life-long learner” of God’s Word.
Peace and Blessings,
Suggested Chronological Reading List:
Take the Challenge
Looking for Another Option?
Did you read the Bible Chronologically last year? Are you looking for another way to connect to the Bible Challenge? We know that committing to read the entire Bible in a year can seem daunting and that we all learn and study differently. So, here are some additional samples of Bible reading plans that can help you make and take seriously our Bishop’s challenge.
Diversified Daily Reading
Find the plan that is right for you: https://www.bible.com/reading-plans-collection/1921